Position Title: Seasonal Community Ambassador
Department: Bookmobile Services
At the heart of a vibrant urban/rural community of 100,000, Strathcona County Library (SCL) encourages literacy and lifelong learning, fosters community connections, and offers programs and services that inform, engage, and entertain. SCL provides excellent and accessible services from our Central Library in the Community Centre, and our award-winning Bookmobile. Opportunities abound to provide creative programs and services for young families, engaged seniors and all of the age groups in between. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our services and workforce. We offer a strongly collaborative team-based environment and the flexibility to maintain a good work/life balance. We are committed to fostering the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion within our workforce and community. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants.
This is a non-permanent hourly, 35-hours-a-week position. The position involves working a variety of shifts including weekdays, evenings, and weekends.
Hourly Pay Rate: $30.16 per hour, paid bi-weekly
Start/End Date: The position runs for a period of 16 weeks from May 6, 2024 to August 23, 2024
Reports to: Manager, Bookmobile Services
Who We Are Looking For
We are looking for an outgoing individual with strong communication and organizational skills, good leadership skills, and the ability to connect with people of all ages.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in planning, promotion, and presentation of summer programs
- Provide programming during special events on weekends all summer long
- Attend meetings and maintain communications with community groups and organizers to plan events and programs as required
- Assist communities and Bookmobile with photos and videos to promote community awareness
- Maintain files in accordance with FOIP
- Other opportunities may include
- Instruct customers in the use of e-content and personal devices
- Provide reader’s advisory, reference and circulation services to Bookmobile patrons
- Assist in updating and maintaining collections
- Completion of one year of a related post-secondary program
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills and outgoing personality are required
- Good computer and word processing skills
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s license and access to a personal vehicle for business use
Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Training
- Experience in a leadership role is desirable
- Experience working with children, teens and adults is desirable
- Familiarity with Strathcona County Library and Bookmobile services
- Familiarity with mobile devices, software, and library digital services
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s license and vehicle; submission of a 5-year Driver’s Abstract with less than 7 demerits
Deadline to apply: 9:00 AM February 26, 2024
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and résumé by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the position title(s) and department(s) you are applying for in your email subject line and cover letter.
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. Strathcona County Library is committed to job equity and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer competitive pay and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County Library. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
For more information visit Strathcona County Library website: https://sclibrary.ca/