Book clubs are a wonderful way to connect and share ideas but they can take some effort to pull together. Consider these tips before embarking on your first club:
- Decide who and how you’ll choose your books. Will you simply take turns choosing a book or will you bring suggestions and vote on them at each meeting?
- Come prepared with questions and comments. Doing a little extra research on the author, the structure of the book, the setting, etc. will really enhance your discussion.
- Listen to each other with respect. You may want to take turns being the moderator who ensures everyone gets a chance to be heard and who also keeps the discussion flowing.
- Agree to disagree. There is no one way to experience or interpret a book. In fact, differing opinions are good!
- Take turns reading your favourite passages in the book. Share why you chose that particular passage.
- And last but not least, have fun!
~Colleen (Adult Services Department)
Want to learn more about our library hosted book clubs and book club kits? Contact us at BookClubKits@sclibrary.ca